7 ott 2010

BALANCED CRAFTS_ Letter from Rachel






"I live in Dublin but was born and raised in Northern California. I like to create.
 As a child, it was the hobby or craft that I imagined to do in my games. 
I've always loved drawing.
As a teenager I worked in contact with any type of craft.
Then, I worked in a shop of pearls, and various tools, thus approaching the creation of jewelry. 
I create jewelry for the past 10 years.

My inspiration comes from the world around me. 
I am greatly inspired by the colors and textures found in nature.
My newest series, for instance, is inspired by geode slices.
I don't know that I have a specific concept. I just aim to create something unique. Something one of a kind. Something that is a reflection of me and what I am drawn to.
 
I enjoy working with many materials, but lately sheet metal, from which I cut my forms. 
I also enjoy working with wood. And always, very tiny Japanese glass seed beads, either 1mm or 2mm.  My favoured technique is bead-weaving. 

It all usually starts with an idea, a rough sketch, then I move to materials and tools and finally the best part, making it happen. 

They don't ALWAYS work out, but when they do, it's a beautiful thing.
 
Creativity is everything to me. It is in my bones and without it I would be lost. 

I know no other way to be. "


Rachel for Balanced Craft



“Vivo a Dublino, ma sono nata e cresciuta nella California del Nord. Mi piace creare. Da bambina era il passatempo o il mestiere che immaginavo di fare nei miei giochi. Ho sempre amato disegnato.
Da adolescente ho lavorato a contatto con qualsiasi tipo di lavoro artigianale.
Poi, ho lavorato in un negozio di perle e strumenti vari, avvicinandomi così alla creazione di gioielli. Creo monili da ormai 10 anni.

La mia ispirazione proviene dal mondo intorno a me.
Sono ispirata dai colori e dalla consistenza della natura.
Non so se le mie creazioni hanno un significato preciso. Voglio solo creare qualcosa di unico. One of a kind. Qualcosa che rispecchi me stessa e quello dai cui sono attratta.

Lavoro con diversi materiali, da poco uso fogli di metallo, su cui ritaglio le mie forme. Mi piace lavorare anche con il legno, e, da sempre, con piccolissime perle di vetro giapponesi. La mia tecnica preferita è il bead-weaving, ovvero tessere le perline.
Tutto inizia da un'idea, da uno schizzo. Studio i materiali e gli strumenti, poi finalmente la parte migliore: making it happen.
Non sempre funziona tutto alla perfezione, ma quando capita, è bellissimo dare vita ai miei gioielli.

La creatività è tutto per me. È nelle mie ossa. Senza di essa, non conosco altro modo per essere me stessa.”


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

TAGS