28 mar 2011

DEBBIE CARLOS











Debbie Carlos, independent photographer. A nice conversation about her creativity.

«I live in Chicago, in the U.S. This is a great city. 
Having lived in L.A., Manila, and in the Boston area, I think Chicago is the first city I’ve lived in that I’ve really felt a connection with. 
There is such a great sense of history that you can feel everywhere. You get the cultural happenings, the hustle and bustle of a large city, but there is also a really nice Midwestern relaxed attitude. 
You will also find a different set of neighborhoods surrounding downtown, and I think these communities make the city really interesting.  Also, the eating is pretty excellent.

I think I make my most interesting pictures when I travel or when I’m in nature. I love to look at art, especially self-taught art. 
I also draw unlimited amounts of inspiration from my friends.
Most of my imagery plays on a feeling or a mood: I try to document moments of everyday life that have a dreamlike, strange, or surreal quality. 
The images show events that happen in my life, but they are also not about me. I am absent, so that the viewer draws their own meaning from the image. My work aims to be universal.

I shoot both film and digital, but I have always loved film the best. The quality of film is so much weightier than digital. 
Digital can produce a great image and the process is a lot easier, but film will always have a certain look that produces a feeling that suits my work especially. 
I do also use re-purposed materials for my sewing projects. I love going to thrift stores and sifting through the pillowcases, bedsheets, oversized clothing to find materials and inspiration.

Having a camera on me at all times is the most helpful part of the creative process: sometimes there is nothing to take a picture of, but sometimes there is.
I make sure to take a lot of photos, even if I don’t feel very strongly about the shot, because I like to leave room to be surprised later.

I think the best thing is to always be open to the idea that anything can happen, at any time. 
Ideas, excitement, energy, a willingness to learn new things. This is creativity for me».





Debbie Carlos, fotografa indipendente. Una piacevole conversazione.

« Vivo a Chicago, Usa. Una bella città.
Dopo avere vissuto a Manila, Los Angeles, e nella Boston Area, credo che Chicago sia la prima città dive ho vissuto con cui sento una connessione. C'è un vero senso della storia, che puoi avvertire ovunque. Senti gli avvenimenti culturali, il tumulto e l'animazione di una grande città, ma c'è anche un'atmosfera da Midwestern, un attitudine rilassata.
Tu puoi sempre trovare differenti set di quartieri che circondano la downtown di Chicago, e credo che siano proprio queste comunità a rendere speciale Chicago.

Le mie immagini più interessanti avvengono quando viaggio o quando sono nella natura. Adoro guardare l'arte, specialmente l'arte self-taught.
La mia ispirazione proviene dai miei amici, illimitatamente.
Il mio immaginario gioca su sentimenti o sull'umore: cerco di documentare momenti di vita quotidiana, che possiedono un qualcosa di onirico, strano, surreale.
Le immagini mostrano eventi che accadono nella mia vita, ma non mi riguardano sempre. Io sono assente, così che lo spettatore può dare il proprio significato ad un'immagine. 
Il mio lavoro cerca di essere universale.

Fotografo sia in digitale che analogico. La qualità della piccola è più pesante del digitale, anzi il digitale può produrre una grande immagine con un processo più facile. 
Ma la pellicola crea sempre una particolare sensazione che si adatta, in modo particolare, al mio lavoro.
Avere una macchina fotografica con me, in ogni momento, è la parte più importante del processo creativo: a volte non c'è nulla da fotografare, ma a volte c'è.
Mi assicuro di fare tanti scatti, anche se all'apparenza non c'è niente.
Mi piace farmi sorprendere in un secondo momento.

Creo anche abiti con materiali riutilizzati. Mi piace girovagare per negozi dell'usato e passare al setaccio federe, lenzuola, vestiti oversize per trovare i materiali e l'ispirazione.

Penso che la cosa migliore è essere sempre aperti all'idea che tutto può accadere, in qualsiasi momento.
Idee, emozioni, energia, volontà di imparare cose nuove. Questa è la creatività per me ».

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

TAGS