9 set 2010

A STORY OF CREATIVITY_ Blue Room Gems










Interview with Jennifer Avery, for Blue Room Gems.


Tell me about yourself, your dreams and your life

I consider myself truly blessed. I am married to an amazing man who proudly serves in the US Army. We have three boys, a five year-old and three year-old twins. My background and education are in physical therapy. I spent several years working in the field before deciding to stay home with my children.

I never considered my self an artist or even crafty for that matter.
I never realized that I had a creative bone in my body until several years ago when I began making jewelry.
It was quite a spontaneous beginning. I was in the craft store one day and wondered through the beads. After looking through a few books, I thought, I can do this! And so that day, I bought a bunch of tools and beads and became a creator!

Last year, I took the plunge and opened my Etsy shop. I really had no idea what I was getting into, but my husband was getting ready to deploy to Iraq for a year and I knew I needed something besides the kids to keep me busy. Designing jewelry and now selling it online has become my passion. Not a day goes by when I am not thinking of some new design or way of improving the shop. I am proud of what I accomplished my first year, but I have dreams of expanding into boutiques, doing home parties, and craft fairs. I love working from home because it gives me the freedom to spend time with my children, make my own schedule, and be my own boss.

How is your day?

My daily routine is pretty hectic! First thing in the morning, I make my coffee and check in on the shop for orders and convos. Then I check e-mail and Facebook. Then I have to get the kids fed, dressed and off to school. I try to hit the gym several days a week, then I pick up the twins from preschool and head home for lunch. The afternoon is when I get most of my work done. I do most of my creating and photographing then because I have fantastic natural light in my studio. In the mid-afternoon, I pick up my oldest from school, then it’s back home to check in on the shop again. I hang with the kids for a little down time before dinner. After dinner it’s baths, books and bedtime for the boys. After they go to bed, I do most of my online work. I add new listings, edit photos, answer e-mails. Then I package up any orders that need to go out the next day. If I am still awake, I will have a little down time to myself.  Now that all probably sounds pretty organized, but anyone with small children knows, that things rarely go smoothly. Just in the time that I sat down to write this I have, answered a skype call from my husband in Iraq, kissed two boo boos, answered 4 phone calls, answered the door for the postman, and let the dog out! I suppose flexibility is key to working at home.

Would you like to become a full time job, or it already is?

Since my children are still young and at home with me, this is not be a full-time venture. Once they are all in school, I will have more time to devote to designing and selling my work. I feel like right now I am laying the foundation for my business’s success in the future.
I am focusing on creating quality pieces of jewelry and earning an excellent reputation as a seller. My ideal would be able to continue to create and sell my work while still having the time and flexibility to be with my family.


Which are your sources of inspiration?

Beautiful gemstone beads are an obsession of mine!
I could spend an entire day and a small fortune shopping for beads!
They are usually the starting point for most of my designs.
I love all the colors and textures found in natural stones. They are so varied and beautiful, that one can never get bored of them!

What do you want to communicate with your creation? The concept behind?

The concept of my creations is to mix it up! I love to combine different stones, chains, colors, textures, and finishes to create a truly unique piece.
I think fashion jewelry should be fun and wearable. When you use various materials in a piece, it actually becomes more versatile, enabling a woman to wear it with many different looks.
I hope my designs appeal to women who like fun, eclectic pieces as well as those who want to experiment with fashion without having to buy a whole new wardrobe.


Intervista a Jennifer Avery per Blue Room Gems.


_Parlami di te, dei tuoi sogni, della tua vita
Mi considero molto fortunata. Mio marito è un uomo fantastico che serve, orgogliosamente, l’Esercito Americano. Abbiamo tre figli, uno di 5 anni e due gemelli di 3 anni. La mia formazione e la mia esperienza sono nel campo della fisioterapia, ho speso molto tempo lavorando nel settore, prima di decidere di stare a casa coi bambini.
Non ho mai considerato me stessa come un’artista o un’artigiana, a dire la verità non ho mai realizzato di avere una certa creatività dentro di me, prima di qualche anno fa, quando ho iniziato a creare gioielli.
È stato spontaneo cominciare: mi trovavo in un negozio specializzato, e lì ho cominciato a sognare attraverso le pietre. Dopo essermi informata tramite qualche libro, ho pensato “Io posso farlo!”. E quello stesso giorno ho comprato strumenti e componenti e sono diventata una creatrice.
Lo scorso anno, con coraggio ho iniziato la mia attività on line, aprendo il mio Etsy shop: non avevo idea di come fare, da dove iniziare, ma mio marito stava partendo per l’Iraq. Un anno in missione. Sapevo di avere bisogno di qualcosa che mi tenesse impegnata, oltre ai bambini.
Progettare gioielli e, ora, venderli on line è diventata la mia passione: non passa giorno senza che io pensi a qualcosa di nuovo da creare o in che modo migliorare la mia attività.
Sono entusiasta e soddisfatta dei risultati del primo anno di vendite, ma il mio sogno è quello di espandere la mia attività in una boutique, organizzare home-parties e fiere dell’artigianato.
Amo lavorare da casa perché mi da la libertà di passare più tempo coi bambini, fare i miei programmi ed essere il mio stesso capo.

_Com’è la tua giornata tipo?
La mia routine quotidiana è piuttosto frenetica! Prima cosa alla mattina, caffè e controllo la mia attività on line di Etsy. Poi, controllo le e-mail e Facebook.   
Colazione per i bambini, li vesto e li porto a scuola. 
Cerco di fare palestra parecchie volte a settimana.  Il pomeriggio è il momento in cui riesco a lavorare di più: creo gioielli e approfitto della fantastica luce naturale che colpisce il mio studio per fotografarli.
A metà pomeriggio, quando anche il figlio più grande è a casa, controllo nuovamente lo shop on line. Passo un pò di tempo coi bambini prima di cena, il dopo cena è tempo di bagnetto, libri e nanna.  
Quando tutto tace, aggiorno il mio store: aggiungo nuovi prodotti, rispondo ad e-mail e richieste, fino a preparare ordini che il giorno dopo cerco di spedire.
Se tutto fila liscio, posso sedermi e avere un po’ di tempo per me: con i bambini non sai mai se hai organizzato bene la giornata, ma appena mi sono seduta per scrivere queste cose, è stato anche il momento di sentire mio marito dall’Iraq tramite Skype, rispondere ad altre chiamate, mangiare due fichi, aprire la porta al postino e fare uscire il cane.
Credo che la flessibilità sia la chiave per riuscire a lavorare a casa.



_Vorresti che diventasse un lavoro a tempo pieno?
Fino a che i bambini sono piccoli, questo non sarà un lavoro a tempo pieno.
Ma quando andranno a scuola, avrò più tempo da dedicare alla progettazione e alla vendita delle mie creazioni. 
È come se io stessi gettando le fondamenta per il futuro del mio business: mi sto concentrando sulla qualità del design di gioielli, cercando di guadagnare e mantenere un’eccellente reputazione come venditore. Il mio sogno sarebbe di continuare a creare gioielli per la vendita, riuscendo a mantenere tempo e flessibilità per la mia famiglia.
  
_A cosa ti ispiri quando crei?
La bellezza delle pietre semipreziose sono un’ossessione per me! Potrei spendere un giorno intero e una piccola fortuna per acquistarle! Di solito sono il punto di partenza di ogni mia creazione. Amo i colori e le texture che compongono le pietre naturali, così varie e così diverse. Non ti annoiano mai.



_Il concept delle tue creazioni
Mix it upAdoro combinare differenti pietre, catene, colori, texture e finiture per creare un pezzo unico. Credo che i gioielli dovrebbero essere divertenti e versatili.
Quando si utilizzano diversi materiali in uno stesso design, esso può diventare davvero poliedrico, permettendo alla donna di indossarlo con svariati look.  Spero che i miei gioielli attraggano quelle donne che amano pezzi eclettici, così come quelle donne che vogliono sperimentare la moda, senza dover cambiare l’intero guardaroba.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

TAGS